The piglets were born last week, on the 31st Jan, so we popped along to Jacobstowe to have a peek this afternoon.
Got to say, they're very cute, very, very cute. I couldn't get in to the pen with them, Mum (Plum) is a bit grumpy, so the pictures aren't that great, but you can see what I mean. She had 12 piglets in total, but for one reason or another, saw her way to laying on 4 of them and killing them, which, I believe isn't that uncommon, but a shame nevertheless. I got a bit of video too, with Chris Jopling, the breeder, not sure how it will work on here. Must say thanks to him & Jan for an endless supply of advice and in Jan's case, mockery (if I want my pigs to have chintz curtains, they will have them) and for a very nice cuppa today.
Next weekend is the half term holiday when I hope to finish my pig house off, then it's another 6 weeks before they arrive..............and the adventure really begins. Can't wait.
P.S it's only fair I give the Joplings a plug after all the help they've given me (and they do make awfully nice sausages), so if it's rare breed pork or weaners you're after go to www.snoutandtrotter.co.uk and if you fancy a week in Devon in a cottage by a pig farm, you could do a lot worse than having a look at www.trotterscottage.co.uk (which, for some reason, I couldn't get to work as a link, so you'll have to copy and paste it into your browser, sorry)
No comments:
Post a Comment