Thursday, 4 September 2008

They're gone......

Blimey! What a week of mixed emotions..... First of all there was the ear tagging incident (I noticed one of them had fallen out before they went off), and then there was Monday morning......

My good friend Geoffrey (a Devon lad, bought up on a farm, former slaughterman, butcher etc etc) borrowed a trailer on my behalf, and rocked up at my place at 6.00am. I had prepared a "run" for the pigs, made from electric fencing, which ran from the field, down the garden and out onto the footpath where the trailer was to be drawn up. I also reduced the size of the field on sunday, so they had nowhere to run when I needed to round them up. (I've read tales of people chasing them round the field covered in pig muck & mud and really didn't want to do the same). Anyway, after several VERY sleepless nights (and, I'll confess, having been utterly foul to live with for a couple of days), the time came.

The stoopid buggers had somehow or other contrived to get the wrong side of the fence overnight and then couldn't find a way back, so they slept outdoors on their last night!! Boy, did THAT make me feel good. Anyway, It took a lot of coaxing to get them out of the field and I guess, about 40 minutes to eventually get them onto the trailer (apples did it in the end). It was then off to Smales in Hatherleigh. When we arrived, Geoffrey very deftly reversed into their yard. They were comfy now and took some "encouragement" to offload them. I can't even contemplate the thought they sensed what was coming, rather that they were just being stubborn.

By the time I'd been into the office to do the paperwork, they had probably been "done". Geoff said it was best I didn't watch, and frankly, I'm kind of glad I didn't. It was all over and I was overcome with a cloud of sadness.

We returned home, cleaned out the trailer, I dismantled the electric fence and stared out on my empty field. It was all so sad.


I kind of got over the sadness by tuesday and on wednesday I had to go back to pick up the carcasses. Once I saw them, and that beautiful layer of fat, any feelings of sadness turned to pride. They killed out at between 63 and 73kgs and now I can't wait to try my lovely home grown pork....

Today (thursday) I'm off to Barton Farmshop in Woolsery, where Robbie (a top geezer) is going to cut them up for me. I have buyers for four halves already, one half for me, and the remainder will be used up as "thankyou's" or sold off as individual pieces.

I have to say, it's all been a bit of an adventure, one that I have so enjoyed, one that has kept me awake more than I would have cared for, but one that I will certainly be repeating. (I'd do it again tomorrow if I had the land). So, watch this space and I'll let you know what it tastes like.....

No comments: