Thursday, 3 April 2008

April 1st (no coincidence I guess!!) they're here....


The adventure has begun, I have joined the brotherhood, there's no turning back, they're here. Three little 8 week old weaners, 2 male, 1 female (I know, they have "proper" names...gilts, hogs, boars whatever) and they're cute (damn them) as hell! Katie has already spent a day playing with them and has given them names, which is something I forbade but how am I going to stop her? They sleep a lot, eat the rest of the time, and frankly, poo a lot. Collectively they are a huge bunch of time wasters as I sit at the window for ages just watching them. I know the novelty will wear off after a while (once they've escaped or I've had a nip off one of them I guess), but they are fascinating to watch. Noodles hasn't taken too kindly to them, in fact she took a shock off the electric fence yesterday and won't even go out the back door any more. I'm sure in time she'll get used to them.
I've been trying to stick to the advice I received or read about regarding how much to feed them, however, I think that because they're eating a lot of grass and vegetation, they're not eating as much of the pellet stuff I've been giving them as I'd expected. This is great news because it's bloody expensive, but that little bit of grass will soon become a quagmire so we'll have to wait and see how it turns out. I've taken loads of pictures and movies of them, but haven't got round to uploading them onto the PC yet so you'll have to make do with this one....it'll be the first of many I'm sure........

No comments: